ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Ossining High School varsity girls basketball team made a valiant second-half comeback before falling just short, losing 63-57 to Long Island Lutheran High School Saturday in the New York State Girls Federation Tournament at the Albany Times Union Center.
The Federation Tournament matches the champions of New York State public, private, parochial and New York City public schools to determine the best team in each school size class.
The Pride trailed 32-24 at halftime and 47-42 after three quarters before Madison Stripoli hit two 3-pointers and teammate Abby Squirrell added a 3-pointer to give Ossining a 57-55 lead with 2:49 remaining in the game.
Long Island Lutheran, the Class AA private schools champion, then outscored the Pride 8-0 over the final two minutes to earn the title.
Ossining, which won its second straight New York State Public Schools Class AA title last week, finished its season with a record of 25-3 and will return all of its five starting players next season.
Abby Squirrell won the tournament's Sportsmanship award and teammate Shadeen Samuels was named to the Federation All-Star team.
- 1 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 2 Credit Card Skimmer Discovery At Area Bank Prompts Concern
- 3 Service Dog Stolen From Car In Cortlandt Town Center
- 4 Four From Westchester Indicted In Metro-North Cheating Ring
- 5 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust