A Carmel police officer along with a Putnam County Sheriff's deputy saved two women and a dog Monday who were found unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a home.
The Carmel police department received the call for help around 12:30 p.m. from a friend who had gone to check on the women at 19 North Gate Road in Carmel.
When Carmel Officer James Terrazas and Deputy Andrew Kristan arrived they found the home's fire alarms and carbon monoxide monitors going off and the house filled with the odorless gas, said Lt. John Dearman.
Terrazas found an unconscious elderly woman in a chair on the first floor and was able to carry her outside with help from a firefighter to an awaiting ambulance, Dearman said.
The second woman was found unconscious in a rear bedroom, she was saved by Terrazas and Kristan, Dearman said.
Both women were transported to the hospital for treatment, he added.
A dog was also found and given oxygen before being transported to a local veterinarian for treatment.
During the rescue, both officers also became dizzy from the carbon monoxide and given oxygen, Dearman said. They were both able to return to work after receiving treatment.
"These guys did a great job and saved three lives," Dearman said. "They deserve to be recognized for their efforts."
There was no word on the condition of the women or the dog.
A local gas company was called to the scene to find the cause of the leak.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.