PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- The 88-year-old Peekskill resident arrested Monday for discharging a weapon was simply cleaning it, police said.
Officers responded to the Hampton Oaks Apartments on Oakwood Drive for a possible shot fired at approximately 3:52 p.m. to find an 88-year-old man, who was detained and transported to police headquarters for questioning.
It appears the man was performing maintenance on his .22-caliber rifle when it accidentally discharged. The round went through a sheet rock wall dividing his and a neighboring apartment. The neighboring apartment was occupied but no one was injured, police said.
The rifle has been recovered and a review of charges will continue to be discussed with the Westchester County District Attorney's Office.
- 1 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 2 Woman In Critical Condition After I-84 Crash
- 3 Cortlandt Manor Man Charged With Menacing Good Samaritan, Police Say
- 4 Westchester Man Is Killed In NYC Hotel Construction Site Accident
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl