PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- The 88-year-old Peekskill resident arrested Monday for discharging a weapon was simply cleaning it, police said.
Officers responded to the Hampton Oaks Apartments on Oakwood Drive for a possible shot fired at approximately 3:52 p.m. to find an 88-year-old man, who was detained and transported to police headquarters for questioning.
It appears the man was performing maintenance on his .22-caliber rifle when it accidentally discharged. The round went through a sheet rock wall dividing his and a neighboring apartment. The neighboring apartment was occupied but no one was injured, police said.
The rifle has been recovered and a review of charges will continue to be discussed with the Westchester County District Attorney's Office.
- 1 Firefighters Contain Blaze At Kohl's In Cortlandt
- 2 Police Seek Suspect In Robberies In Peekskill, Ossining
- 3 Westchester Bank Manager Is Charged With Stealing Over $1.4M
- 4 Multi-Vehicle Accident Reported On Peekskill Hollow Road
- 5 Bill Cosby's Tarrytown Shows Are Still On Despite Sex Abuse Allegations