Editor's note: The following letter was submitted to the Peekskill Daily Voice by Peekskill Common Council Member Darren Rigger:
This Monday, I would like to wish all the people of Peekskill a very happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day and also congratulate President Barack Obama on his inauguration.
I look forward to spending the holiday volunteering and participating in MLK Day events. Along with this, I will pause at 11:30 a.m. Monday and join millions of people in watching our president be sworn in for a second term.
The president’s re-election represents a positive step we've made towards fulfilling Dr. King's ‘Dream’ for our country. Today, like in days past, we struggle for social equality.
There is disparity in how women and men are treated in the work place, and questions remain as to what reflects a fair wage for a day's work. Issues of marriage equality and access to health care continue to reflect this same struggle.
Yes, there is much work to be done. And yes, it will be difficult. But I am inspired by the progress around us and I know that we are on the path to Dr. King’s Promised Land.
Peekskill Common Council
- 1 Peekskill Man Charged In Shoplifting Incident At Yorktown Sears
- 2 Peekskill Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Early Morning Shooting At Cortlandt Manor Pub Under Investigation
- 4 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287
- 5 Westchester School Closing, Early Dismissal Rundown