PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- Shirley Wilcox Brandes, formerly of Peekskill died in her Boulder, Colo. home on Sunday, June 29.
Born in 1918, Brandes was an avid reader who took great pleasure in completing the Saturday and Sunday New York Times crossword puzzles, reading The New Yorker magazine from cover to cover, playing bridge, and outsmarting the smartest on "Jeopardy!"
Brandes was a graduate of Russell Sage College in Troy, N.Y., where she earned a bachelor of science degree in nursing in 1939.
Her husband of sixty years, Dr. Peter Brandes, Sr. died in 2000.
Brandes is survived by her three children, Peter Brandes, Jr. (Zelda Laskowsky) of Oakland, Calif., Robert Brandes (Sandy Schwolgin) of Canton, Ga., and Susan Brandes (Len Aitken) of Boulder, Colo., as well as several grandchildren.
A family memorial service and interment of ashes will be held in Peekskill at the Cortlandt Cemetery later in the year.
- 1 Lockout Lifted At Peekskill Schools After Shooting Reported In Area
- 2 Suspect In Custody In One Of Two Peekskill Shootings
- 3 Car Goes Over Guardrail, Down Embank In Cortlandt
- 4 24 Hospitalized After Chlorine Spill At Peekskill Middle School
- 5 Peekskill Parks And Rec Worker Rescues Girl On Icy Lake