WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – With many families displaced by Hurricane Sandy there are even more children in need this holiday season, and Westchester County is asking for your help.
People can donate to the ninth-annual Westchester County Holiday gift drive, which provides presents to children living in foster homes and temporary homeless shelters.
“Through this program, we can at least ensure that they are given something on the holiday,” County Executive Robert Astorino said in a statement.
A group of five Eastchester High School seniors raised $3,000 at their annual fair and chose to donate it to the county holiday drive. Tuesday, Carina Martesevici, Marie Cascione, Arlette Maher, Roisin Wiley and Ryan Winnie, along with their faculty advisors, will present their donation in the form of gift cards to Astorino in his White Plains office.
“I thank the Eastchester students for what they have already done and encourage all of our residents and businesses to consider a donation,” Astorino said in the statement.
The county collected nearly $12,000 in gift cards and thousands of dollars in toys, clothes and electronics through the holiday drive in 2011.
“It warms my heart when I see my staff and the county government as a whole come together to donate to help children have a nice holiday,” Kevin McGuire, commission of social services, said in the statement.
Unwrapped presents may be donated at the following locations:
- Michaelian Office Building, 148 Martine Ave., White Plains
- Department of Social Services Central Office, 112 E. Post Road, White Plains
- Department of Social Services Yonkers District Office, 131 Warburton Ave., Yonkers
In addition, gifts may be dropped off at the offices of WFAS radio, 365 Secor Road, Hartsdale.
The program makes a special appeal for gift cards and cash contributions, so that gifts can be matched with the wish lists of the recipients.
If you would like to donate or sponsor a child’s wish list please, contact Matthew McCarrick at 914-995-4979 or by email.
- 1 Man Charged In Peekskill With Thefts From Porches
- 2 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 3 Police Investigate Assault With Baseball Bat In Yorktown
- 4 Erratic Driving Complaint Leads To Taconic State Parkway DWI Arrest
- 5 Search Is On For Kayaker Who Went Missing In Hudson River