PEEKSKILL, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Peekskill this week:
- The Westchester County Board of Legislators and Donald and Jane Cecil, founders of the Jandon Scholarship, honored Diana Suarez of Peekskill along with 14 other recipients on May 21.
- Voters in Peekskill approved the 2014-15 school budget, 409 votes to 220 votes. The $79.8 million budget increases spending 1.86 percent, with a 1.57 percent tax levy increase and 1.58 percent tax increase.
- New York State Police charged a Lake Peekskill man with multiple counts following a domestic incident in Putnam Valley.
- State Senator Greg Ball, through his lawyer, Joseph Tacopina, sent Assemblyman Steve Katz a letter threatening him with a lawsuit if he continues to imply Ball is under investigation for misusing campaign funds.
- Rita's, which specializes in Italian ices and custard, opened in the city last summer. The company is celebrating its 30-year anniversary at one of its newest locations, 1877 E. Main St. in the Beaches Shopping Center in Peekskill.