WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently ranked several Westchester County communities among the best places to live in New York State.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. Census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student to teacher ratio)
- Total crimes
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax)
- Commute time
- Weather (temperature and air quality)
Overall, Westchester County communities took 10 of the first 11 spots (with ties) with Mamaroneck taking the top spot.
Tarrytown, White Plains, Mount Kisco, Scarsdale, Harrison, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Rye, and New Rochelle (tied with Saratoga Springs for 10th) all placed in the top 10.
The greatest help to Westchester communities was a strong employment rating, with each town in the county tying for fourth place overall.
Most Westchester municipalities struggled with commute times. Scarsdale, specifically ranked 85th overall in commute times, but still ranked fifth overall.
Port Chester, Peekskill and Yonkers ranked just outside the top 10, placing 12th, 13th and 14th, respectively.
- 1 Arrest Of Peekskill Woman On DWI Charges Tops Week's News
- 2 Mysterious UFO Still Vexes Westchester Police Officer
- 3 It's A Girl: Westchester's Clintons Are Grandparents As Chelsea Gives Birth
- 4 Brewing Up Fun at Peekskill's Hudson Hop and Harvest
- 5 Peekskill Native Pataki Reportedly Considering Presidential Bid In 2016