Daily Voice accepts signed and original letters to the editor up to 350 words. To send a letter, e-mail email@example.com.
A wise man once said, "The voting booth is the last place where, rich or poor, everyone speaks with the same volume." Voting is our opportunity to express disapproval of damage taking place daily in White Plains and Washington. My opponent is a devoted supporter of Rob Astorino and his agenda. I disagree.
In Westchester we need:
• A sensible budget that provides essential services without placing county assets (like the airport) at risk.
• A responsible plan for closing Indian Point including jobs for current employees. My opponent has not attended a single expert Forum on managing nuclear plant closures but supports Astorino's frivolous lawsuit against the plant's owner.
• Violent crime has risen in Westchester over the last two years and horrific mass shootings are occurring around our country. It's not the time for county property to be used to promote 'gun culture' that's accompanied by Confederate flags and Nazi paraphernalia.
• Repairs to county roads, bridges, waste facilities and other infrastructure that have been allowed to deteriorate for the middle- and working-class families that depend on our parks, public transportation, sewers, roads, and more.
• Policies that will take advantage of the technology, clean energy, and other employment booms so residents can find good paying jobs in the 21st Century.
• Funding for schools and health centers, including State money that's been approved but has never been collected or spent. John Testa hasn't stood up for our children and our seniors to provide the care they're due.
• Housing for lower- and middle-income families that are being priced out of the county. Testa supported Rob Astorino's non-compliance with a court-ordered housing agreement, costing the county between $28 and $43 million in Federal support dollars.
• For our immigrant community to feel safe from senseless harassment and not hesitant to report violent crime or other illegal activity to our County Police. My opponent has voted repeatedly to deny them those needed protections.
It will be two years before we get another chance to improve our county government and send a message to Washington. Vote wisely.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.