PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Verplanck Flotilla is offering a oating safety class at the Peekskill Yacht Club on July 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This beginner boating class will give attendees the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification in many states.
Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete About Boating Safely.
The ABS class will be taught by Steven Leardi, who earned the 2015 US Coast Guard Auxiliary Division 6 “Auxiliarist of the Year” award.
About Boat Safety covers the following topics:
- Introduction to Boating – Types of power boats, family boating basics.
- Boating Law – Boat registration; boating regulation; hull identification number; re-quired boat safety equipment; operating safely and reporting accidents; protecting the marine environment; Federal boat law; state boating laws; personal watercraft require-ments.
- Boat Safety Equipment –Personal flotation devices ("life jackets"); fire extinguishers; sound-producing devices; visual-distress signals; dock lines and rope; first aid kit; an-chors and anchor lines; other boating safety equipment.
- Safe Boating – Bow riding; alcohol and drug abuse; entering, loading, and trimming a boat; fueling portable and permanent tanks; steering with a tiller and a wheel; docking, undocking and mooring; knots; filing a float plan; checking equipment, fuel, weather and tides; using charts; choosing and using an anchor; safe PWC handling; general water safety.
- Navigation – The U.S. Aids to Navigation system; types of buoys and beacons; naviga-tion rules (sometimes referred to as right-of-way rules); avoiding collisions; sound sig-nals; PWC "tunnel vision."
- Boating Problems – Hypothermia; boating accidents and rescues; man overboard re-covery; capsizing; running aground; river hazards; strainers: emergency radio calls; engine problems; equipment failures; carbon monoxide (CO); other boat-ing and PWC problems.
- Trailering, Storing and Protecting Your Boat – Types of trailers; trailer brakes, lights, hitches, tires, and bearings; loading, balancing, and towing a trailer; towing (and backing) a trailer; boat launching and retrieving; boat stor-age and theft protection; launching, retrieving and storing a PWC.
- Hunting and Fishing, Water-skiing and River Boating – Carrying hunting gear and weapons in a boat; fishing from a boat; water-skiing safety guidelines and hand signals; water-skiing with a PWC; navigating rivers, and other boating tips.
The cost for the class is $40.
The Peekskill Yacht Club is located at 1 Travis Point.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.