PEEKSKILL, N.Y. – Peekskill High School boys’ basketball star Jay Cabell is The Peekskill Daily Voice Student-Athlete of the Month for December.
Cabell has led the Red Devils to a 3-1 record so far this season. Peekskill started the season with a statement win against Poughkeepsie, but Cabell’s breakout performance came in the second game of the year.
"Well, its going be a long season and we just have to continue working hard and execute on everything if we want to go all the way," Cabell said. "The team is coming together faster then we expected. It's like after every game and practice we get closer and thats a big part of how far us as a team will go."
The junior poured in six three-pointers and finished with 25 points in a 61-58 win against Putnam Valley. Cabell carried Peekskill in that game as he was the only Red Devil to score in double figures.
Cabell then followed up that performance with six more three-pointers and 23 points in a 90-62 rout of Beacon. Peekskill hit 17 three-pointers in the win.
Peekskill’s lone loss thus far was a 68-54 defeat at the hands of South Shore at the Slam Dunk Tournament. South Shore outscored Peekskill, 27-0, in the second quarter as part of a 31-0 first-half run.
- 1 Body Pulled From Hudson ID'd As Missing Kayaker In Murder Case
- 2 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 3 Fiancee Pulled Paddle Away As Hudson River Victim Flailed, Prosecutors Say
- 4 Boil Water Advisory Affects 150,000 Westchester Residents
- 5 Man Charged After Crashing Boat Into Verplanck Sea Wall