This story was updated at 6:20 p.m. to include additional details from police.
PEEKSKILL, N.Y. — A postal worker discovered a dead body slumped behind the wheel of a car on Pine Street in Peekskill at about 2 p.m. Wednesday, she told The Peekskill Daily Voice.
Police said the victim was a man in his 60s who lived in the Cross Roads apartments. His name and cause of death were withheld by police as of 6:20 p.m., while authorities cleared the scene.
Authorities performed CPR at the scene but the man was pronounced dead before being taken to the hospital, police said.
Police said the man's name will be released later Wednesday evening.
Following the discovery, officers searched the area with police dogs, the postal worker said.
A shooting was reported at 118 Pine St. in Peekskill. Peekskill police along with the Westchester County Police Department, the New York State Police and the Westchester County District Attorney's office were on the scene.
Early Wednesday afternoon, Pine Street was closed in both directions as the investigation continued.
Check back with The Peekskill Daily Voice for updates on this breaking story.
- 1 Peekskill Mayor Drops Attempt To Oust City Manager
- 2 Two Women, Man Charged In Jefferson Valley Mall Parking Lot Heroin Bust
- 3 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 4 Suspect Charged In Peekskill 'Bicycle Bandit' Robbery
- 5 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say