This story was updated at 6:20 p.m. to include additional details from police.
PEEKSKILL, N.Y. — A postal worker discovered a dead body slumped behind the wheel of a car on Pine Street in Peekskill at about 2 p.m. Wednesday, she told The Peekskill Daily Voice.
Police said the victim was a man in his 60s who lived in the Cross Roads apartments. His name and cause of death were withheld by police as of 6:20 p.m., while authorities cleared the scene.
Authorities performed CPR at the scene but the man was pronounced dead before being taken to the hospital, police said.
Police said the man's name will be released later Wednesday evening.
Following the discovery, officers searched the area with police dogs, the postal worker said.
A shooting was reported at 118 Pine St. in Peekskill. Peekskill police along with the Westchester County Police Department, the New York State Police and the Westchester County District Attorney's office were on the scene.
Early Wednesday afternoon, Pine Street was closed in both directions as the investigation continued.
Check back with The Peekskill Daily Voice for updates on this breaking story.
- 1 Man Charged In Peekskill With Thefts From Porches
- 2 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 3 Police Investigate Assault With Baseball Bat In Yorktown
- 4 Erratic Driving Complaint Leads To Taconic State Parkway DWI Arrest
- 5 Search Is On For Kayaker Who Went Missing In Hudson River