Contact Us
Peekskill Daily Voice serves Peekskill, NY
Return to your home site

Menu

Peekskill Daily Voice serves Peekskill, NY

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Man Killed After Being Hit By Car Under I-87 Overpass
police & fire

Peekskill Power Strip Fire Leaves Residents Homeless

A fire caused by an overloaded power strip has left city residents homeless, according to city police.
A fire caused by an overloaded power strip has left city residents homeless, according to city police. Photo Credit: Art Cusano

PEEKSKILL, N.Y. – A Monday evening fire destroyed a Peekskill residence and left several residents homeless, according to city police.

“Last night, we had an unfortunate situation on the 1300 block of Main Street, where an overloaded electrical circuit with space heaters started a house fire,” said Peekskill police spokesman Sgt. Ray Henderlong in a statement released Tuesday. “All residents and their pets escaped without injury but are now homeless”

Henderlong reminded residents that overloading power strips can have disastrous consequences.

“We would appreciate your assistance in informing the public that overloading strip outlets and electrical circuits with space heaters are one of the most common causes of fires,” Henderlong said. “With the onset of winter and the cold weather rapidly approaching, this is a major concern for both the fire and police departments.”

Check back for more information on this breaking story.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Peekskill Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.