PEEKSKILL, N.Y. — The Peekskill man found dead in his car Wednesday afternoon by a postal worker has been identified as a former city cab driver.
Police said Wednesday they are treating the death as a homicide.
The victim has been identified as Terry Camper, 53, of Peekskill. Camper is a former city cab driver but was not currently licensed by the city.
"He was known in the community as someone who would give rides," said Peekskill Police spokesman Lt. Eric Johansen. "A gypsy taxi is what they call them."
Johansen said that it was not yet clear if he had been on a call when he was killed on Pine Street sometime around 1:30 p.m.
"The investigation is still ongoing and we're following leads," Johansen said. "Hopefully we can get some justice for Mr. Camper"
Peekskill Mayor Mary Foster said the victim had a large family in the city and that he was a good citizen.
"It's very sad," Foster said. "Mine and the council's condolences go out to this gentleman's family."
- 1 Man, 22, Charged In Tire-Slashing Incidents In Peekskill
- 2 Route 6 Stretch Reopens After Accident Involving Tractor Trailer
- 3 Trump's Presidential Run Puts Spotlight On His Northern Westchester Estate
- 4 New Map Shows Lyme Disease Risk
- 5 Valentine Grocery In Peekskill Fined For Alcohol Sale To A Minor