OSSINING, N.Y. -- Police and firefighters were busy Thursday afternoon securing a shaky church steeple at First Baptist Church on 1 Church Street.
Police closed off Church Street from Spring Street to South Highland Ave as firefighters responded to the scene.
According to the building department, the fire department was called in after debris was seen falling off the steeple. The building department said once the steeple is secured, a structural engineer will be called in to ensure everything is safe and is no longer a hazard.
Carina Salvador saw the steeple begin to shake.
"It was dangerous," Salvador said. "If it wasn't for the firefighters, it would've tipped over. It's not safe, it's an unfortunate situation. I hope they take care of it."
- 1 Body Pulled From Hudson ID'd As Missing Kayaker In Murder Case
- 2 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 3 Fiancee Pulled Paddle Away As Hudson River Victim Flailed, Prosecutors Say
- 4 Boil Water Advisory Affects 150,000 Westchester Residents
- 5 Man Charged After Crashing Boat Into Verplanck Sea Wall