PEEKSKILL, N.Y. ‒ An early Tuesday morning fire damaged a home on Constant Avenue but caused no injuries to the occupants, according to the Peekskill Fire Department. A faulty extension cord is believed to be the cause of the fire, officials said.
The department received a call at approximately 2:20 a.m. about a fire at 1213 Constant Ave., Fire Chief Lenny Varella said.
"The family was home, but the smoke detectors went off and they evacuated and then called 911," Varella said.
The fire, which was confined to an upstairs bedroom, was put out in approximately 15 minutes, Varella said. The department finished its investigation by 5 a.m.
The bedroom received smoke, fire and water damage, and the kitchen area below the bedroom received some water damage. The family was not displaced by the blaze, Varella said.