PEEKSKILL, N.Y. – Joseph B. Brady of Peekskill died Jan. 23. He was 81.
He was born March 6, 1931, in the Bronx to Joseph and Sara Cunniffe Brady. He owned an employment business in the 1960s and then spent many years in sales management at Verizon before retiring in 1989.
Recently, he was an active ombudsman at local Peekskill health care facilities. Brady served in the Naval Reserve from 1951 to 1957.
A talented musician, he was best known as a bagpiper. He taught all of his children how to play the bagpipes, as well as many individuals and several pipe bands. An Iona College graduate, he started the Iona College Pipe Band in 1966, and its scholarship program continues today.
Brady is survived by his wife of 58 years, Eileen McCarthy Brady; three children, Joe (Ann Simmons), Jamie (Karen Feeley) and Jean Brady; two sisters, Anne Martyn and Irene (Bob) McLaughlin; and five grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by a son, Vincent; a brother, Vincent; and a brother-in-law, Pat Martyn.
Visitation is 3 to 7 p.m. Sunday at E.O. Curry Funeral Home in Peekskill. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at noon Monday at Church of the Assumption in Peekskill.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the This Is Me Foundation, 1829 Maple Ave., Peekskill, NY 10566.
- 1 Man, 24, In Custody After Shooting Injures Two In Peekskill
- 2 Peekskill Named One Of State's 10 Most Fiscally Stressed School Districts
- 3 Storm System Departs Peekskill, Snow Could Return Thursday
- 4 Westchester High Schools Rank High Among New York's Best
- 5 100-Year-Old Peekskill Resident Attends Hudson Valley Chamber Gala