PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- Joan "Joannie" Dabbs, 67, a lifelong Peekskill resident, died on Aug. 26, 2014.
Born on June 3, 1947 in Peekskill, she was the oldest of 16 children of James and Joan Sewalk.
She attended the Assumption School, graduated from Lady Cliff and attended The New York Foundling Nursing Program. After school, Joannie worked for Peekskill Hospital and then at Skyview Nursing Home. She then changed careers to work for Jasmine Caterers. In the mid 90's, Division Street Grill opened, and she continued to be a loyal employee.
Mrs. Dabbs is survived by her husband, Thomas Dabbs, daughters Melissa Dabbs and Cassandra (Clarence) Blalock; and two grandchildren. Mrs. Dabbs is also survived by her mother and 14 siblings, aunt and many cousins.
The family will receive friends on Saturday, Aug. 30 from 10 a.m. to noon at the E.O. Curry Funeral Home, Peekskill, where a service will begin at noon.
- 1 Man, 24, In Custody After Shooting Injures Two In Peekskill
- 2 Peekskill Named One Of State's 10 Most Fiscally Stressed School Districts
- 3 Westchester High Schools Rank High Among New York's Best
- 4 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Peekskill; 6-12 Inches Of Snow Likely
- 5 100-Year-Old Peekskill Resident Attends Hudson Valley Chamber Gala