NEW YORK, N.Y. ‒ The meteorite that came crashing down on a Chevy Malibu in Peekskill on Oct. 9, 1992, was sold for $16,250, according to the auction groups overseeing the sale.
The “Peekskill Meteorite,” as it came to be known, was sold by Heritage Auctions at the Fletcher Sinclair Mansion in Manhattan on Sunday, along with more than 100 other meteorites of varying sizes.
The 83.68-gram meteorite was purchased by a museum that did not want to be identified, according to a report Monday in The Journal News.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Men Shot, Killed Before Hutchinson River Parkway Crash ID'd
- 5 Croton Police Gathering Evidence In Lacey Carr Death Probe