WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Operation Prom will giveaway prom dresses to high schoolers who could not otherwise afford one in White Plains, New Rochelle, Yonkers and Peekskill during the next two months.
Operation Prom has given out 4,100 gently used dresses and hundreds of tuxedos since Noel D’Allacco, of Eastchester, founded it nine years ago. The program partnered with the Westchester County Department of Social Services three years ago. It has expanded to provide tuxedo rentals through Men’s Warehouse and regular donations of clothes, food, school supplies and scholarships.
Students, some who live in shelters, group homes or low-income households, must be recommended by their guidance counselor and passing all of their classes. Financial need has become less of a factor, D'Allacco said, because the economy has left so many in need of a little help.
“Going to prom is an American rite of passage signifying the next step in life for young people entering adulthood. Noel has made it possible for teens to participate in prom,”said Social Services Commissioner Kevin McGuire.
Girls who have submitted an application may pick up a dress:
- March 26, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Westchester County Center, 198 Central Ave., White Plains
- March 27, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the College of New Rochelle, 29 Castle Place, New Rochelle
- March 28 and 29, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Yonkers Riverfront Library, 1 Larkin Plaza, Yonkers
- Apr. 19, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Peekskill Department of Social Service District Office, 750 Washington Street, Peekskill
Boys must complete the application form to know what Men's Warehouse location to visit and when to go for a fitting. There are a limited number of tuxedos available in:
- White Plains, 360 Tarrytown Road
- Scarsdale, 731 Central Park Ave.
- 1 Police Seek Public's Help In Search For Missing Yorktown Woman, 43
- 2 Stop & Shop Issues Recall For Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 State Police Search For Suspect In Cortlandt Gas Station Robbery
- 4 Cortlandt Man Charged After Being In Possession Of Drugs, Counterfeit Bills
- 5 2015 Board, Officers Elected For Peekskill Business Improvement District