PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- When Democratic Mayoral candidate Ken Martin looks around his home city of Peekskill, he sees some progress, but more importantly, he sees potential.
"I love Peekskill for what it almost is, and for what I know its going to be," Martin told Daily Voice. "My vision is to create a place that's a destination that people come to not just for the evening, but for the day. My vision is a beautifully diverse community that all works together."
Martin, who has been a teacher in Harlem for 30 years, feels his experience working in a diverse environment makes him uniquely qualified to navigate a political arena that can, at times, be divided.
"Between the differences in philosophies in education and the kids, I've learned to work with everyone," Martin said. "The first thing I'd like to see is for each one of us to take responsibility."
Martin also discussed:
- Why he is running for mayor. (0:08 into clip)
- Martin's opinion on the current state of Peekskill. (0:47 into clip)
- His vision for the future of Peekskill. (1:43 into clip)
- The importance of downtown growth. (3:03 into clip)
- Navigating a bipartisan political environment. (4:21 into clip)
- Improving the quality of life in Peekskill. (5:56 into clip)
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.