PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Peekskill's George Elmer Pataki.
Pataki, who was born in Peekskill, turns 69 on Tuesday.
Pataki, a politician who was the 53rd governor of New York, was born June 24, 1945. He was a member of the Republican Party and served three consecutive four-year terms from Jan. 1, 1995, until Dec. 31, 2006. Pataki first won elected office in November 1981. He was elected mayor of Peekskill. Pataki defeated the Democratic incumbent Fred Bianco Jr., winning 70 percent of the vote. In November 1983, Pataki was re-elected mayor, winning 74 percent of the vote.
The Governor George E. Pataki Leadership and Learning Center in Peekskill is designed to educate schoolchildren on government using Pataki’s public service as an example.
- 1 Peekskill Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester
- 2 Accidents Reported On Taconic State Parkway, Bear Mountain Bridge Road
- 3 Peekskill Man Charged With Felony, Aggravated DWI In Cortlandt
- 4 Storm System Departs Peekskill, Snow Could Return Thursday
- 5 Cuomo Implements Full Travel Ban, Declares State Of Emergency