PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Peekskill's George Elmer Pataki.
Pataki, who was born in Peekskill, turns 69 on Tuesday.
Pataki, a politician who was the 53rd governor of New York, was born June 24, 1945. He was a member of the Republican Party and served three consecutive four-year terms from Jan. 1, 1995, until Dec. 31, 2006. Pataki first won elected office in November 1981. He was elected mayor of Peekskill. Pataki defeated the Democratic incumbent Fred Bianco Jr., winning 70 percent of the vote. In November 1983, Pataki was re-elected mayor, winning 74 percent of the vote.
The Governor George E. Pataki Leadership and Learning Center in Peekskill is designed to educate schoolchildren on government using Pataki’s public service as an example.
- 1 Arrest Of Peekskill Woman On DWI Charges Tops Week's News
- 2 Mysterious UFO Still Vexes Westchester Police Officer
- 3 Peekskill Native Pataki Reportedly Considering Presidential Bid In 2016
- 4 Brewing Up Fun at Peekskill's Hudson Hop and Harvest
- 5 Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Murder Of Peekskill Cab Driver