PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Peekskill's George Elmer Pataki.
Pataki, who was born in Peekskill, turns 69 on Tuesday.
Pataki, a politician who was the 53rd governor of New York, was born June 24, 1945. He was a member of the Republican Party and served three consecutive four-year terms from Jan. 1, 1995, until Dec. 31, 2006. Pataki first won elected office in November 1981. He was elected mayor of Peekskill. Pataki defeated the Democratic incumbent Fred Bianco Jr., winning 70 percent of the vote. In November 1983, Pataki was re-elected mayor, winning 74 percent of the vote.
The Governor George E. Pataki Leadership and Learning Center in Peekskill is designed to educate schoolchildren on government using Pataki’s public service as an example.
- 1 Peekskill Man Charged In Stabbing At Putnam Restaurant
- 2 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 3 Fiancee Pulled Paddle Away As Hudson River Victim Flailed, Prosecutors Say
- 4 Boil Water Advisory Affects 150,000 Westchester Residents
- 5 Peekskill Native George Pataki To Enter Presidential Race In New Hampshire