WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- In honor of those whose lives were lost or forever changed by the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, County Executive Robert P. Astorino has joined with Volunteer New York! to host “9/11: Serve + Remember” at the County Center on Thursday, Sept. 11.
Westchester County’s formal 9/11 memorial ceremony also will take place the same day beginning at 7 p.m. at The Rising at the Kensico Dam. The public is invited to attend both events.
“Volunteering is one of the best ways to honor the memory of the victims of September 11, 2001, as well as pay tribute to the heroism of those who came together to help,” Astorino said.
“We are especially happy this year to announce the Westchester County Diaper Bank. Diapers are a basic need for children – as essential as food, shelter and a parent’s love. I want to thank the Junior League of Central Westchester for this tremendous partnership.”
Service projects taking place at the County Center on Sept. 11 from noon to 6 p.m. include the following:
- Blood Drive (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – give blood to the New York Blood Center in partnership with county government
- Diaper Drive – donate diapers or wipes of any size or variety to benefit the Westchester County Diaper Bank
- Food Drive – bring non-perishable food items to benefit the Food Bank for Westchester
- Lamp Drive -- help furnish homes for those in need through Furniture Sharehouse
- Mentoring and Tutoring Fair – learn more about the need for mentors and how you can help
- Blanket making for Project Linus – help keep children in hospitals and shelters warm
- Postcard writing for Reverse the Course – support education for girls in Africa
- Literacy Project – help Head Start students retell their stories and master early reading
Additional projects that will run through Sept. 14 can be found at www.volunteernewyork.org/service.
Detailed information is available at www.volunteernewyork.org/service and early registration is encouraged.